Kayaks and Brains

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

 

~I dreamed that I was at the sailing school where I work, but I wasn't working. I was taking a class, which kept alternating between kayaks and Lasers (a kind of sailboat, generally for the more advanced students). My old chem lab partner was in my class. I wanted to ask him if we had gotten some of the same classes for our schedule next year, but each time I thought to ask him, I couldn't say it, or he wasn't there. At one point, we were sitting in our kayaks, partially beached on a tidal island, and I finally asked him, to which he replied, "Don't you worry your pretty little head about it," and kayaked away. Later, the class kayaked into a sort of underground cave place with tile floors and pillars. My coworkers were helping everyone dock and get out of their kayaks. I got out and was wandering around through a maze of rooms. I went into a room where all the lighting seemed to shine up through the floor, and was somewhat reddish but also somewhat greenish. My lab partner was there, without a shirt on, and his chest seemed huge and muscular, so much so that I wasn't sure if it was him. He was tapping the center of his chest with his finger, but he didn't see me. He appeared to be alone in the room, but suddenly someone I couldn't see said, "Don't do it!" But it was too late; my lab partner reached up and stabbed something that I could not see into his chest where his heart would be, and something fell out, which I knew to be a brain, even though it didn't look like one. It was purple and red and looked somewhat like a jellyfish but wasn't translucent. It had huge, blinking googly eyes with purple, veined lids and long, thick eyelashes. My lab partner's chest was normal and incision free. Someone said, "Oh no! His brain fell out!" and he gave me the joking downcast-eyes "I did something bad and I know it" look he would when he messed up a lab. For some reason, I responded, "Don't worry, that was only his spare brain!" People laughed, and then I woke up. Just a pointer - I do not have, and have not ever had, a crush on this guy. ~ From Julia


Tea: That you are taking classes at your workplace indicates that you are seeking improvement at your job. The presence of your lab partner, a school buddy, fits with this as well. However, you are having trouble translating the skills that you learned from school, your reading 'riting, and 'rithmatic, to the oceanic environment. The underground location with the tiled floors and pillars and mysterious light is something beautiful, yet hidden, probably related to the heart that your lab partner pointed to. However, your education and indoctrination into more rationalized methods of thinking have led you to think with your brain instead of your heart. You've buried your heart, and even though it's "bad" and you "know it," you falsely assert that you've still got plenty of heart left.

Nyx: Well Tea, I don't agree with the last point. The brain belongs to the lab partner, not the dreamer, and they are two separate entities. The fact that his brain falls out of where his heart would normally be suggests that he is smarter than you think he is, and his conversations with you, while they seem innocent and purely from the heart, are more devious than you could imagine. Chasing after him to ask him a question, and being constantly unable to do so, suggests that there is something more important than your class schedule that you want to ask him in real life. Why do you want to know if he is in your class? Being unable to ask him if he is shows a tendency to nervousness when it comes to talking to this boy. It could be that the real reason you want to know if he is in your class is to find out if you get to spend more time with him. You profess that you do not have a crush on this guy, but something about him intrigues you, as your subconscious imagination of his brain is so quirky and unrealistic.

Cynthia: His brain falls out of where his heart should be, so clearly he is saving his heart for you. You've noticed that he has a crush on you, and constantly makes witty comments, as shown by his putting out his brain for you. His flirtatious intent is further shown by the thick eyelashes and personality of the brain; you don't find him to be just an ordinary chemistry nerd. He's YOUR chemistry nerd, and you are possessive of him, as shown by you wanting him in your class next year, perhaps to be your lab partner again.

0 comments: